Intracellular Messenger Pathways as Mediators of Neural Plasticity
Eric J. Nestler and Ronald S. Duman
1. Aghajanian, G.K. (1978) Tolerance of locus coeruleus neurons to morphine and suppression of withdrawal response by clonidine. Nature 267, 186-188.
2. Aghajanian, G.K. and Alreja, M. (1992) Cyclic AMP promotes desensitization of the m opioid response in locus coeruleus (LC) neurons - evidence for heterologous desensitization. Soc. Neurosci. Abs. 18, 21.
3. Aghajanian, G.K. and Wang, Y.Y. (1987) Common alpha-2 and opiate effector mechanisms in the locus coeruleus: intracellular studies in brain slices. Neuropharmacol. 26, 789-800.
4. Alreja, M. and Aghajanian, G.K. (1991) Pacemaker activity of locus coeruleus neurons: whole-cell recordings in brain slices show dependence on cAMP and protein kinase A. Brain Res. 556, 339-343.
5. Alreja, M. and Aghajanian, G.K. (1993) Opiates suppress a resting sodium-dependent inward current in addition to activating an outward potassium current in locus coeruleus neurons. J. Neurosci. 13, 3525-3532.
6. Bing, G., Filer, D., Miller, J.C., and Stone, E.A. (1991) Noradrenergic activation of immediate early genes in rat cerebral cortex. Mol. Brain Res. 11, 43-46.
7. Bliss, T.V.P. and Collingridge, G.L. (1993) A synaptic model of memory: long-term potentiation in the hippocampus. Nature 361, 31-39.
8. Butler, M.O., Morinobu, S., and Duman, R.S. (1993) Chronic electroconvulsive seizures increase the expression of serotonin2 receptor mRNA in rat frontal cortex. J. Neurochem. 61, 1-7.
9. Campeau, S., Hayward, M.D., Hope, B.T., Rosen, J.B., Nestler, E.J., and Davis, M. (1991) Induction of the c-fos proto-oncogene in rat amygdala during acute and chronic stress. Brain Res. 565, 349-352.
10. Ceccatelli, S., Villar, M.J., Goldstein, M., and Hokfelt, T. (1989) Expression of c-fos immunoreactivity in transmitter-characterized neurons after stress. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86, 9569-9573.
11. Colin, S.F., Chang, H.-C., Mollner, S., Pfeuffer, T., Reed, R.R., Duman, R.S., and Nestler, E.J. (1991) Chronic lithium regulates the expression of adenylate cyclase and Gia in rat cerebral cortex. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88, 10634-10637.
12. Collins, S., Bouvier, M., Bolanowski, M.A., Caron, M.G., and Lefkowitz, R.J. (1989) cAMP stimulates transcription of the b2-adrenergic receptor gene in response to short-term agonist exposure. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86, 4853-4857.
13. Deutch, A.Y., Lee, M.C., Gillham, M.H., Cameron, D.A., Goldstein, M., and Iadarola, M.J. (1991) Stress selectively increases Fos protein in dopamine neurons innervating the prefrontal cortex. Cerebral Cortex 1, 273-292.
14. Duman, R.S., Strada, S.J., and Enna, S.J. (1985) Effect of imipramine and adrenocorticotropin administration on the rat brain norepinephrine-coupled cyclic nucleotide generating system: alterations in alpha and beta adrenergic components. J. Pharm. Exp. Ther. 234, 409-414.
15. Duncan, G.E., Johnson, K.B., and Breese, G.R. (1992) Imipramine antagonizes neuroanatomically selective alterations of 2-DG uptake and induction of Fos-like immunoreactivity induced by stress. Proceedings of the 1992 Annual Meeting of the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology, p. 85.
16. Felsenfeld, G. (1992) Chromatin as an essential part of the transcriptional mechanism. Nature 355, 219-224.
17. Gubits, R.M., Smith, T.M., Fairhurst, J.L., and Yu, H. (1989) Adrenergic receptors mediate changes in c-fos mRNA levels in brain. Mol. Brain Res. 6, 39-45.
18. Hadcock, J.R. and Malbon CC (1993) Agonist regulation of gene expression of adrenergic receptors and G proteins. J. Neurochem. 60, 1-9.
19. Harris, G.C. and Williams, J.T. (1991) Transient homologous m-opioid receptor desensitization in rat locus coeruleus neurons. J. Neurosci. 11, 2574-2581.
20. Hentze, M.W. (1991) Determinants and regulation of cytoplasmic mRNA stability in eukaryotic cells. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1090, 281-292.
21. Hope, B.T., Kelz, M., Duman, R.S., and Nestler, E.J. (1993) Chronic administration of ECS produces a long-lasing AP-1 complex in rat cerebral cortex of altered composition and characteristics. J. Neurosci., in press.
22. Hosoda, K., Feussner, G., Fishman, P.H., and Duman, R.S. (1992) b1-adrenergic receptor down-regulation in C6 glioma cells: evidence for inhibition of b1AR gene transcription by a transient repressor. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 18, 816.
23. Hosoda, K. and Duman, R.S. (1993) Regulation of b1-adrenergic receptor mRNA and ligand binding by antidepressant treatments and norepinephrine depletion in rat frontal cortex. J. Neurochem. 60, 1335-1343.
24. Hyman, S.E. and Nestler, E.J. (1993). The Molecular Foundations of Psychiatry. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, DC.
25. Kalivas, P.W. and Stewart, J. (1991) Dopamine transmission in the initiation and expression of drug- and stress-induced sensitization of motor activity. Brain Research Rev. 16, 223-244.
26. Kogan, J.H., Nestler, E.J., and Aghajanian, G.K. (1992) Elevated basal firing rates and enhanced responses to 8-Br-cAMP in locus coeruleus neurons in brain slices from opiate-dependent rats. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 211, 47-53.
27. Koob, G.F. (1992) Drugs of abuse: anatomy, pharmacology and function of reward pathways. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 13, 177-184.
28. Koob, G.F., Maldonado, R., and Stimus, L. (1992) Neural substrates of opiate withdrawal. Trends Neurosci. 15, 186-191.
29. Leviel, V., Fayada, C., Guibert, B., Chaminade, M., Machek, G., Mallet, J., and Biguet, N.F. (1990) Short- and long-term alterations of gene expression in limbic structures by repeated electroconvulsive-induced seizures. J. Neurochem. 54, 899-904.
30. Li, P.P., Tam, Y.-K., Young, T., and Warsh, J.J. (1991) Lithium decreases Gs, Gi-1 and Gi-2 a-subunit mRNA levels in rat cortex. Eur. J. Pharm. 206, 165-166.
31. Maldonado, R. and Koob, G.F. (1993) Destruction of the locus coeruleus decreases physical signs of opiate withdrawal. Brain Res. 605, 128-138.
32. Melia, K.R., Rasmussen, K., Terwilliger, R.Z., Haycock, J.W., Nestler, E.J., and Duman, R.S. (1992) Coordinate regulation of the cyclic AMP system with firing rate and expression of tyrosine hydroxylase in the rat locus coeruleus: Effects of chronic stress and drug treatments. J. Neurochem. 58, 494-502.
33. Meyer, T.E. and Habener, J.F. (1993) Cyclic adenosine 3',5'-monophosphate response element binding protein (CREB) and related transcription-activating deoxyribonucleic acid-binding proteins. Endocrine Rev. 14, 269-290.
34. Mobley, P.L. and Sulser, F. (1980) Adrenal corticoids regulate the sensitivity of noradrenergic receptor coupled adenylate cyclase in brain. Nature 286, 608-609.
35. Morinobu, S. and Duman, R.S. (1993) Induction of BDNF mRNA by electroconvulsive seizure (ECS) and antidepressants in rat frontal cortex. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 19, 499.
36. Morgan, J.I. and Curran, T. (1991). Stimulus-transcription coupling in the nervous system. Annu. Rev. Neurosci. 14, 421-452.
37. Nestler, E.J. (1992) Molecular mechanisms of drug addiction. J. Neurosci. 12, 2439-2450.
38. Nestler, E.J., Terwilliger, R.Z., and Duman, R.S. (1989) Chronic antidepressant administration alters the subcellular distribution of cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase in rat frontal cortex. J. Neurochem. 53, 1644-1647.
39. Nestler, E.J., McMahon, A., Sabban, E.L., Tallman, J.F., and Duman, R.S. (1990) Chronic antidepressant administration decreases the expression of tyrosine hydroxylase in the rat locus coeruleus. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 7522-7526.
40. Nestler, E.J., Hope, B.T., and Widnell, K.L. (1993) Drug addiction: a model for the molecular basis of neural plasticity. Neuron, in press.
41. North, R.A., Williams, J.T., Suprenant, A., and Christie, M.J. (1987) Mu and delta receptors belong to a family of receptors that are coupled to potassium channels. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 84, 5487-5491.
42. Ozawa, H. and Rasenick, M.M. (1991) Chronic electroconvulsive treatment augments coupling of the GTP-binding protein Gs to the catalytic moiety of adenylyl cyclase in a manner similar to that seen with chronic antidepressant drugs. J. Neurochem. 56, 330-338.
43. Pepin, M.-C., Beaulieu, S., and Barden, N. (1989) Antidepressants regulate glucocorticoid receptor messenger RNA concentrations in primary neuronal cultures. Mol. Brain Res. 6, 77-83.
44. Perez, J., Tinelli, D., Brunello, N., and Racagni, G. (1989) cAMP-dependent phosphorylation of soluble and crude microtubule fractions of rat cerebral cortex after prolonged desmethylimipramine treatment. Eur. J. Pharm. 172, 305-316.
45. Rasmussen, K., Beitner-Johnson, D., Krystal, J.H., Aghajanian, G.K., and Nestler, E.J. (1990) Opiate withdrawal and the rat locus coeruleus: behavioral, electrophysiological, and biochemical correlates. J. Neurosci. 10, 2308-2317.
46. Richard, F., Faucon-Biguet, N., Labatut, R., Rollet, D., and Mallet, J. (1988) Modulation of tyrosine hydroxylase gene expression in rat brain and adrenals by exposure to cold. J. Neurosci. Res. 20, 32-37.
47. Self, D.W., Terwilliger, R.Z., Nestler, E.J., and Stein, L. (1993) Regulation of cocaine and heroin self-administration by pertussis toxin administration into the nucleus accumbens. J. Neurosci., in press.
48. Sharma, S.K., Klee, W.A., and Nirenberg, M, (1975) Dual regulation of adenylate cyclase accounts for narcotic dependence and tolerance. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 72, 3092-3096.
49. Steward, O. and Banker, G.A. (1992) Getting the message from the gene to the synapse: sorting and intracellular transport of RNA in neurons. Trends Neurosci. 15, 180-185.
50. Stone, E.A., Platt, J.E., Herrera, A.S., and Kirk, K.L. (1986) Effect of repeated restraint stress, desmethylimipramine or adrenocorticotropin on the alpha and beta adrenergic components of the cyclic AMP response to norepinephrine in rat brain slices. J. Pharm. Exp. Ther. 237, 702-707.
51. Strausbaugh, H.J., Morinobu, S., and Duman, R.S. (1993) Modulation of c-fos expression by electroconvulsive seizure (ECS) and antidepressants in rat frontal cortex. Soc. Neurosci. Abstr. 19, 499.
52. Striplin, C.D. and Kalivas, R.W. (1992). Correlation between behavioral sensitization to cocaine and G protein ADP-ribosylation in the ventral tegmental area. Brain Res. 579, 181-186.
53. Terwilliger, R.Z., Ortiz, J., Guitart, X., and Nestler, E.J. (1993). Chronic morphine administration increases levels of bARK in the rat locus coeruleus. Soc. Neurosci. Abs. 19, 500.
54. Winston, S.M., Hayward, M.D., Nestler, E.J., and Duman, R.S. (1990) Chronic electroconvulsive seizures down regulate expression of the c-fos proto-oncogene in rat cerebral cortex. J. Neurochem. 54, 1920-1925.
Back to Chapter